Emerging Curator Award
Deadline for applications:
Friday 5 November 2021
Black Church Print Studio is now inviting applications for its BCPS Emerging Curator Award. This programme is designed to provide a platform for emerging curatorial research.
This award is open to recent graduates* from academic backgrounds including Art Theory, Art History, Aesthetics and Fine Art backgrounds. The successful applicant will be given the opportunity to realize a public exhibition of work at the prime location of The Library Project at 4 Temple Bar in January 2023.**
‘The Black Church Emerging Curator Award was a valuable experience which allowed me to develop my curatorial practice in a supportive and professional environment. The exhibition and associated press coverage served to expand my networks and audiences and has led to further career opportunities’.
BCPS Emerging Curator Award
Black Church Print Studio is offering the successful applicant:
- A €500 curatorial fee
- A three week exhibition slot at The Library Project with an additional week for installation/take down
- Accompanying critical thinking session specific to the exhibition
- Creative autonomy but the award stipulates inclusion of BCPS artist at a minimum ratio of 1:1 to any external invited artists.
- Equitable payments for artists***
- Professionally designed graphics and invite
- Technical installation support
‘I was given exactly what an emerging curator needs; time to develop an idea into an exhibition, time to research various artists, space to hold an exhibition, the central location could not have been better’.
How to Apply
In the subject line please state ‘Emerging Curator Award’ application.
Deadline for applications: Friday 5 November 2021.
Please see notes below for eligibility for this award.
Applicants are asked to send the following submission materials:
- CV (2 page max)
- Proposal of theme/concept for exhibition. (750 words max)
- A short statement of interest in working with Black Church Print Studio (150 words max)
- Images of proposed or related art works or other relevant imagery
- Images of previous curatorial projects
* Open to graduates from 2011 – 2021
**BCPS strictly adheres to HSE Public Health guidelines in relation to Covid 19 for the protection of staff, members and our visitors. With this in mind, while BCPS endeavours to hold a physically situated and publicly accessible exhibition in TLP in January 2023, there should be some flexibility and a willingness to adapt the exhibition proposal to an online/remote viewing format should health guidelines dictate at that time. Technical support will be provided by BCPS in this event.
*** Black Church Print Studio is committed to the fair and equitable payment of artists. As such decisions around the number of artists should be made bearing in mind available budget and space.
‘Through the support provided by Black Church Print Studio, in terms of funding, space, administration and marketing support, I was able to focus myself fully on the curatorial aspect of producing the exhibiting, which gave me invaluable experience both in a practical and developmental sense.’
For updates on our upcoming events, courses, and more just add your email to subscribe.