Call for submissions:
Winner for 2023 announced shortly
Black Church Print Studio would like to invite International artists actively engaged or informed by contemporary printmaking practice to apply for a four-week residency in Black Church Print Studio, Dublin during 2023. Applicants must be practicing Printmakers. Irish residents are not eligible. Dates to be confirmed between winning participant(s) and the Studio. This residency is supported by IMMA Production Residency Programme.
About residency programme
BCPS International Artist-in-Residence programme was established in 2009 to facilitate contemporary artistic practice in the Studio and to further the professional development of artists. It enables the creation and production of new work, fosters an exchange of ideas and influences and encourages the sharing of expertise. Our recent partnership with the IMMA Production Residency programme allows expanded connections with other cultural practitioners on residency at IMMA.
- Emerging, mid-career and established professional artists are invited to apply.
- Artists will have access to etching, lithography, screen printing, relief presses and digital equipment.
- Selected participant will receive accommodation, basic materials, studio equipment and facilities usage, technical and administrative support.
- Travel and material costs are the responsibility of the participating artist.
- The successful resident will be asked to complete two editions of works during the residency and donate two prints from each to the Studio (one for the BCPS Archive Collection and one for BCPS Fundraising).
- The resident artist will be required to give a public print demonstration or artist talk during the residency.
- The Residency is scheduled for a single four-week term in 2023 (dates to be confirmed).
How to Apply
Application should be submitted in pdf format by email to [email protected] Total size of email should be no larger than 25MB. A submission fee of €20 applies. This can be paid using the payment link above.
Email subject: BCPS International Residency 2023.
Submission should include (pdf fromat):
- A proposal of work to be achieved throughout the residency (with accompanying work-plan). Max 2 pages.
- A maximum of 10 images of works, representing a cohesive overview of current work with accompanying image details including title, date, medium and dimensions where applicable.
- A recent CV (including exhibition history).
- A short biography
All applications will be placed before a selection panel comprising a Board Director, the Studio Technical Manager and a representative from IMMA. The selection panel will give consideration to the proposal, quality of work and CV/experience.
Applicants must be practicing Printmakers. Irish residents are not eligible.
30 April 2022
All applicants will be notified within four weeks of application deadline.
Further information contact
Hazel Burke, General Manager, Black Church Print Studio, 4 Temple Bar, Dublin 2
+353 (0)1 677 3629 | [email protected]
The smell of a printshop was welcome, for a printmaker it is almost paradise…
‘Because of the “no pressure” attitude of the workshop I allowed myself to work openly and investigate ideas that I had not until then allowed myself to try out. Mark making on wooden boards, carving, inking and the consequent printing onto paper is what I have been doing for the past twenty years. But what was different in Dublin was the lightness and easiness of the process. It cannot be understated how important an atmosphere like Black Church is to an artist, how important it was/is to me – or – how difficult and how rare such an atmosphere is to find!’
For updates on our upcoming events, courses, and more just add your email to subscribe.